Friday, April 14, 2006

Surfperch Search


Ever wonder how fishes get their names? Why is a Perch not called a striped silver dollar or a surf poodle? Why is it one word (Surfperch) instead of two (Surf Perch)? Honestly, I have no idea where those common names come from but this one is, as best I can tell, a Striped Surfperch. Of course, the drawings in those fish ID guides are always a little tough to ID off of unless you've seen the fish a bunch of times.

There was a guy fishing off of that creaky old Imperial Beach Pier. I was hunting around for photos to entertain our gracious audience just as this little Surf Perch comes flying out of the water, wiggling for dear life (and no doubt hoping to fall back in). Being the photo bug that I am, I had to have a picture of the fish. I suppose I should have gotten the fisherman in the picture too but he seemed content with just the fish hamming for a pic.

No comments: