Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Marching for Immigrants


Over a thousand students marched peacefully to protest legislation in the House that would make illegal immigration a felony. There is talk of detention and weekend classes to punish them for skipping class. As for me, I say hats off to them for having the guts to stand up for what they believe in. A little school detention is worth the experience of experiencing democracy and free speech first hand. What a civics lesson! This is what makes America great!

Yes, they could have had vigils at night or on the weekend. They could have done letter writing campaigns and internet blogs. There are lots of things they could have done instead of skipping class. Still, I give them credit for having the guts to get out there and make a statement.

As for me, I don't think I would have had that kind of gumption when I was in high school. I was too busy being the perfect kid to do something bold and out of the norm. These students were not afraid to challenge the status quo and were not afraid to make a difference. If these students are our future, our country is in good hands.

No comments: