Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Alone in a Sea of Rocks


I saw a guy sitting all alone in the rocks the other day. Rocks as far as you can see. He was staring at his cell phone, perhaps hoping that someone would call. Perhaps someone special. He looked really down.

I felt bad for him. It reminded me of the bleakness of the early days long before I came out when it seemed like the world was a very unwelcoming place. Cell phones don't help. It's just one more thing to watch, hoping someone will call. That's before you figure out that they are either going to call or not, either going to leave a message or not. Staring at the phone doesn't change a thing. Your leaving messages for them typically just makes it worse. Blaming the world doesn't help either. Sometimes it's better to just chill and be you. Not needy you. Not clingy you. Be "happy with who I am you." Life works better that way.

No comments: