Saturday, March 04, 2006

A Bee Line for Trouble


The sun is back in San Diego and it was bright with a brisk breeze and little wisps of white clouds. It was certainly warm enough to get my toes wet as I walked barefoot along the shore looking for seashells washed up by the surge. I found a nice sized spindle shell, all tawny yellow and orange with a tuft of red-brown seaweed on the top of the spire. It lay in the sparkling white sand, making quite a contrast.

As I padded closer for a look, I felt a searing pain in my toe. I searched for the offending jellyfish or man of war and, instead, found a bee in the sand that I had inadvertently stepped on. The sting hurt more as I walked further so I made a "bee line" for the cold, clear pacific water. As I rubbed my toes through the sand and cold brine, hoping to remove the stinger, the pain lessened. So, I made a day of it, walking up and down the beach through the froth, basking my toes in the chilly water.

Meanhile, I had some fun with the new digital camera, snapping passing birds, sea shells, wave froth and an occasional surfer. It was relaxing, bee sting and all, and I managed to get a decent bird shot or two and some really cool pictures that I'll keep for another day.

No comments: