Monday, February 13, 2006

Valentine's Day: Capitalist Extravaganda or an Expression of Affection?


Have you ever wondered who St. Valentine was and why he has a day named after him? Do you suppose it is just a convenient excuse for Hallmark to sell a lot of cards? Alternately, is it a day that has true meaning for the masses above the bunches of flowers and boxes of chocolate?

Personally, I like to look at Valentine's day as an excuse to be nice to the people you care about. I made the cards by hand (well, by photo editor anyhow) and left little trails of paper hearts and chains of paper teddy bears. I sent family pictures, framed desk pictures and even stooped to a bit of chocolate and an orchid or two.

Over doing it? Perhaps so; but it was fun, fun, fun. I haven't felt so creative since kindegarten and it can't hurt to let that significant someone in your life feel loved every now and then. Valentine's day is as good an excuse as any and a better excuse than most.

Now, that being said, my significant other thinks Valentine's Day is just a cheap commercial excuse for card sales. In spite of the cards, flowers and chocolate, I have not managed to coax out the least bit of romance whatsoever (mostly just complaints about getting fat actually). So, I'll have to ask your opinion. Is the other half:

(a) Showing principled discipline against capitalist propaganda;
(b) Too lazy to show any affection; or
(c) an insensitive lout?


The alternative is that I'm just a hopeless romantic and ridiculously out of touch. Of course, I've always figured that any excuse is a good excuse for a hug or some gratuitous gift giving. Life is just too short to wait for the right occasion to pop up and I've been around long enough to know that those who wait too long sometimes lose the chance.

In any case, my Mom and my Sister enjoyed the cards and the attention and I suspect that deep down, in spite of any lack of admission, the other half does too.

So, for you romantics out there, Happy Valentine's Day! Tell someone you care about that you love them today and every day, just because you can.

No comments: