Sunday, February 12, 2006

Blading at the Beach



With all the news headlines about nasty snowstorms hitting the East Coast I felt it was my duty to go to the beach in protest. Of course, I had ulterior motives. After breaking my roller blades yesterday, I headed out to the local sports superstore to pick up a new pair. The new, sleek, black K2 blades were in back seat of the car just screaming to be tried out. Needless to say, compared to my very old (and now broken) pair of blades, the new ones were AWESOME! Nothing hurt, the bearings didn't stick and wonder of all wonders, the brake worked too! Not a bad thing when you're crusing down a narrow, sandy cement walkway with all sorts of boards, bikes and sweaty pedestrians going every which way.

Not to gloat of course but there was not a cloud in the sky. There was a stiff cool breeze that was being used to some advantage by a kite surfer. Try as I might, my little pocket camera failed to catch the amazing airborne 360s this guy was doing. I sat on the cement sea wall with awe and the surfer out raced these huge waves and did flying jumps over the whitewash. Looks like a hoot. Add it to the list of wayward things to try (evil grin).

The weather had people out in droves. The seagulls were out as well, hovering overhead in the breeze as only seagulls know how to do. They were keeping a keen eye on the college parties for scraps of food and unwatched plates. Admittedly, as annoying as they can be, given the occasional seagull bomb that terrorizes the pedestrians, they are graceful and inspiring to watch.

Given that Valentine's day is on Tuesday, I eventually pulled myself away from the beach to do a little shopping. The neighborhood store has an ongoing grand re-opening celebration to celebrate their remodel so I figured I would pop in and check out the new digs. There were sampleseverywhere. Awk. The willpower was low and there was the juiciest peppered steak, warm roasted turkey, melted cheese sandwiches, salad and a variety of other wonderful, fattening and horribly tasty tidbits. You could have skipped dinner after a tour or two of the store.

I dare say the samples did their dirty deed and I left with more than I had intended including two steaks, a really juicy looking roasted turkey breast and a fragrant, yellow pineapple. Those samples are evil. Tasty...but evil. Guess the fish and veggies will have to wait.

Until next time, stay warm and don't let the snow get you down.

No comments: