Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Gone Skiing


I'm heading off to Colorado for a short ski weekend. Think generally cold and snowy. No warm beaches, no California sunshine... Sigh. Actually, having lived in Colorado, it will be fun to see some of the old friends that I hung out with.

Meanwhile, here in sunny California, I've finally gone to see Brokeback Mountain. Admittedly, I was worried that it would bring back a lot of bad memories. It brought back a few but mostly, it reminded me of the amazing back country, the high mountains, the fluffy crystalline snow, the eagles and the elk. It reminded me of the good, hardworking people I knew in Colorado and of the summer days spent hiking high up in the Rockies. It reminded me of wild flower covered hill sides in every shade of yellow, purple and red with not a soul in sight. It reminded me of streams filled with icey snow melt with trout fingerlings darting in the shade. I finally stopped calling Colorado home and yet, it was home in a way that California has never been able to fill. Yes, California with it's car clogged, smoggy interstates and hectic, frenetic pace. Perhaps Brokeback brought something more back to me than a sad tale of ignorance and bigotry, it also brought back warm memories of good friends and a slower, quieter time.

No comments: