Friday, November 27, 2009

Resting on the Foundation of Giants (literally)


Huge Statue of Sailor kissing a Nurse during shore leave, San Diego Bay, San Diego, California. Okay, so it's not the most profound art but it does kind of fit in with the huge Naval presence in San Diego Bay as well as the miscellaneous maritime museums. One family (lower left) felt that it was an equally nice place to sit down and have lunch. So it's useful too! ...even if only as a park bench. I don't mind it too much. It's kind of a curiosity. Of course, I really don't want to know how much the government spent to fund it. No, I really don't want to know lest I be tempted to suggest that they spend that money on keeping people employed instead. Although I suppose the artist was employed and countless crane operators and site preparation people so maybe they really did intend to spend the money to keep people employed. Hmmmm....?

2 comments:

Birdie said...

That very statue is on the bayfront in Sarasota, my home town. Art? Maybe not, but it always brings a smile.

Wayward Hawaiian said...

The very same statue? You mean it's not an original? Hoho, we've been sold a replica! Of course, if it makes you smile, I suppose that's all that matters.