Saturday, February 21, 2009

ID to the Rescue!


Yellow-Rumped Warbler (Western Race), Dendroica coronata. I spent way too long trying to figure out what this bird was. It definitely looked like a vireo. However, the Least Bell's Vireo (Southwest Coastal subspecies of the Bell's Vireo) pictures that I could find had no yellow on them. I looked and looked...and the best I could come up with is that this may be the interior subspecies, possibly a vireo that found its way west from the desert for the Winter. He caught my attention because of the two patches of bright yellow. Not enough for a Yellow-Throated Vireo but just enough to catch my attention! If you can ID this Vireo, let me know.

Thank you to our anonymous poster! We have an ID as the Western Race of the Yellow-Rumped Warbler, Dendroica coronata. Yes, I was staring at the wrong page in the bird book (blush)!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That looks like the western race
of the Yellow-rumped warbler.
That is not a Bells Vireo.
I do enjoy your blog.