Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Manning the Phone Bank

I manned the phone bank for no on Proposition 8 on Sunday. When I started calling it was absolutely nerve wracking. Asking someone to vote no was like asking for a date, every single time. For a normally shy guy, that's enough to leave you feeling like a dishrag after 3 hours of calling.

I think I'm pretty good at it and four people changed their minds. In a really close race, that feels like quite an accomplishment. I'm still debating whether I would man the phone bank again. Some people had a lot of fun but I found it somewhat draining, perhaps because I was discussing something that I cared about in a more personal way than most, who relied more tightly on the script. However, I know that I hate it when people call and read a script to me on the phone. I feel like my time is worth more than that. I've always hated listening to someone read a script (they could just mail it to me). I want to know what people really think; so, I figured I owed a little of that in return. Lucky for me, the script and I were in agreement!

1 comment:

MartininBroda said...

Wow, you are a hero, “a normally shy guy” makes such calls; I would feel so much uncomfortable if I had to make it, but the people you’ve called know now, it was not from India; good luck.