Thursday, October 09, 2008

Fish and Chips and Margaret


The hotel I stayed in while I was in Chicago had a little pub downstairs that had very reasonably priced fish and chips. I also discovered that they, for a teensy bit more, would make the fish and chips out of halibut. I was pretty much sold on the whole experience. I managed to sit in various spots in the restaurant and experienced their miscellaneous British decor. One of the more memorable tables I sat at had the Baroness Thatcher, a.k.a. Margaret Thatcher, waiving her steely finger at the room. It was incentive to eat my vegetables. Grin. I didn't recognize the very serious looking man in the suit but I'd guess he's a British politician of sorts as well. I'm not sure that either of them helped the digestion but it was kind of fun.

1 comment:

MartininBroda said...

Looks strange & funny indeed. “As a certain owl-like book-wormish personality” I’m sure you’ve find out meanwhile it’s Winston Churchill (a link to the image: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Churchill.jpg) and as a German I don’t like him that much, maybe I would be hesitant to throw my vegetables at him. :-)