Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Case of the Hissing Goose


I just flew back from Kansas City. When I left San Diego, it was raining torrentially and I was doing my best not to hydroplane on puddles on the highway on the way to the airport. After a relatively uneventful flight, I get to Kansas and it's bright, sunny and warm. Bringing the jacket was a totally wasted effort and I'm really enjoying the weather at this point, thinking leaving rainy San Diego for a day or two wasn't all bad.

Of course, it's Spring time and that means baby animals. In front of the Marriott Overland Park they have a nice lake with a fountain in the middle and some nesting Canadian Geese that have taken up temporary residency. While I left the Nikon at home, I had my little pocket cam with me and dutifully crept up to the goslings to take a few pictures. Well, this big "daddy goose" comes walking up, hissing and snapping his beak. He then proceeds to pull up some grass for show. Interestingly enough, daddy goose had a line in the grass. I take one step forward and he hisses. I take one step back and he stops. Fascinating. He didn't chase me back to the lobby or anything un-neighborly. He was just interested in keeping me on the far side of the "goose demarcation line." You can see the gosling in the background wondering what all the daddy goose ruckus is about.

No comments: