Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Say Something Profound, Will You?

Sometimes I feel like I should say something profound. I've posted thousands of posts but I rarely say much about life, being a bit private. However, it just seemed like the thing to do so here goes.

I find that the pre-holiday time is quite stressful between shopping for presents, trying to clean up the work at the office and working to get all the bills paid at home. It's just so easy to get caught up in others' expectations and self-imposed worries about every little detail. Ultimately, however, if I put down the credit card and pause for the briefest of moments I realize, in a puff of sanity, that the season is about reconnecting with the people you love most, the people that have always been in your life and who will always be a part of you, even long after they depart this world. Those moments make it all worthwhile.

As for the negativity of the few, the neigh sayers, the doubters and the prophets of doom and gloom, it's best to realize that their negativity is a reflection of their own doubts and unhappiness. While we may try to help where we can, ultimately no amount of tangible gifts or verbal soothing will quell their inner negativity for that fire is quenched only from within, and only through faith, trust and love, rather than through negativity.

2 comments:

naturgesetz said...

There was a time when I tried to make Christmas spectacular for everybody in my family by giving them wonderful gifts. Perhaps out of some sort of burnout as well as diminished finances, but I like to think also from the wisdom of age, I've given up trying to be the person who makes people's Christmas merry. I celebrate the day and give a few token gifts which say I think the day is important and I hope they enjoy it.

Merry Christmas!

Wayward Hawaiian said...

The couple in front of me in the checkout line tonight had a pack of tortillas and a bottle of what looked like humus. I could see that their tennis shoes had holes in them, their clothes inexpensive and worn. I thought, perhaps, that I should buy them something more substantial to eat. I felt a moment of guilt for being employed and living in a nice warm house and never worrying about food. I let it go as they seemed happy enough and not stressed about paying for their goods, not wanting to come off as some sort of overbearing crazy person pushing food on people. When approached, however, I have not shied away from buying strangers a meal, time permitting. Still, the visions of the less fortunate bore holes in my memory. But for grace and good fortune there also go I...