Sunday, December 10, 2006

Angels in Hawaii


Makaleka is shown here posing with one of her hand made angels. She's been making these angels for years and was at a small booth in the Waikiki Shopping Plaza selling them for Christmas. The angels come in multiple sizes and are made with natural materials like coconut fronds, each having unique character. I bought a few for Christmas ornaments including one for Mom and one for my sister. Makaleka collects photos from all over the world from people that have bought her angels and litterally beamed from ear to ear when she showed me her collection of photos. She actually asked for two photos, one of her ornaments on my tree and one of me. I suppose I'm going to have to do a wayward self portrait (LOL).
As I stood yacking with Makaleka, a young woman came by to look at the angels. She had obviously red eyes from crying. I was tempted to run for cover, but Makaleka asked her if she was okay and why she had been crying. That totally opened up the flood gates! She broke into a whole new round of tears and talked about having just had an operation (I was not about to dig for details although a few possibilities came to mind that would cause that kind of reaction) and about a husband in California who was about to divorce her and a brother that came with her to Hawaii but promptly ditched her to go surfing. I did my best to cheer her up and provide a little perspective but I suspect she needed a lot more than a little casual cheering could do. To that very, very sad lady, wherever you are, I hope you are feeling better and that things are looking up for the holidays.

No comments: