Monday, October 30, 2006

Fleeting Moments


This picture of a young girl with a hummingbird feeding out of a flower in her hand speaks to the preciousness and fleeting nature of life and the moments we share with the people we care about. I'm posting this picture for Brian, a dear coworker and perhaps one of the hardest working people I knew, who passed away this Sunday.

I certainly did not intend yesterday's posting to be prophetic and find the irony very heartbreaking. I question whether it is the fault of the bosses who pushed him to the breaking point or of Brian for quietly accepting past all point of reason. Brian was days short of his 50th birthday and engaged to be married for the very first time. Brian was the third person in our division to pass away in a handful of years and speaks to the toll that working in high technology can take.

If there is a silver lining to this, I suppose it is in the message that life is precious and brief and that we need to make the time to share with the people in our lives. It is particulary poignant to me as I found myself jetting back across half the globe to spend my birthday at home with my better half only days prior. Brian, perhaps, has finally found peace and a better place.

No comments: