Sunday, July 27, 2014

Hummingbirds at the Feeder

Here's a short video of the hummingbird feeder in back of the house.  Those are Allen's (reddish-brown and green) and Anna's (red throat, green body) hummingbirds.  You can hear them tweeting at each other as they jockey for a perch.  Meanwhile, I'm off to re-fill the feeder.  They've been emptying it out daily!

Normally, I just have Anna's hummingbirds, typically with one really aggressive one guarding the feeder and chasing the rest away.  This is the first year that I have seen the Allen's Hummingbirds in such numbers and would really enjoy it if they would stay in the area.  They are native to the coastal chaparral and I suspect that the huge fires in Southern California (a bit East and North of us) and the longstanding drought may be one reason for them being at my feeder in such numbers.  I may have to run to the nursery to find some flowers for them so that they get a little natural food as well.

No comments: