Sunday, February 26, 2012

Amaryllis: Pot versus Ground?

Red and White Amaryllis. I planted this in the front yard in late Summer. A month or two later I bought another Amaryllis in pot and put it about a foot away. The one in pot bloomed repeatedly from late December through early February. The one in the ground just bloomed for the first time a few days ago (shown). The question is why did the one in pot bloom first? Was the ground more consistently cool than the pot? Was it because the one in pot had a head start in a greenhouse somewhere? I'm guessing that the ground was cool enough to delay blooming by about two months but I suppose I'll never know for sure short of buying two more bulbs and starting them from scratch side by side. Any volunteers to run a little science experiment next year?

No comments: