Friday, August 04, 2006

Downright Owl Tired


I'm exhausted. Actually, I've been pooped all day. The weather has cooled down enough to turn off the air conditioning and open the windows. However, last night at about 4am, an Owl flew up to enjoy a lovely perch on top of the lamp post outside my window. Now, owls can be deadly quiet when they want to be but this little guy/gal was hooting up a storm. I swear this owl was louder than my music alarm in the morning.

So I hear "hooo hoooo hoooooo hooooooo", seemingly louder the longer I try to ignore it. I roll over, try the pillow over the ears thing but this is just one LOUD owl. So, at this point, I'm wide awake and thinking that any owl that has that kind of persistence might just hang around for a portrait photo or two. So, I sleepily grab the SLR and the super dooper flash and carefully sneak out of the house, careful not to make too much noise so as not to scare off our very vocal owl before I get my picture.

After some looking around, I see a dark sillouette (aka lump) on top of the lamp post. This is in character as the owls do tend to look for a high spot to perch on while looking for food (or while keeping me up as it may be). The camera is having a tough time focusing but this little camera has a little beam for range finding and soon enough, we have focus. Then, POOOOOF! Big flash! It takes my eyes a little while to readjust to the dark as I look to see if our owl friend stayed around for a second photo but alas, the owl flew off to darker/quieter outposts which, admittedly, was for the better since I really needed to get back into bed to salvage what was left of last nights sleep. I check my camera screen to see if the owl posed or not and voila, there he is in full yellow and red-eyed glory. Tonight, however, I intend to sleep.

No comments: